It is a crime under both state and federal laws for anyone to make
obscene or harassing telephone calls. Offenders may be fined and/or
imprisoned. If you ever receive obscene, abusive, harassing, or
threatening calls, follow these suggestions:
- Hang up at the first obscene word, or if the caller remains
silent the second time you say hello. Remember, you control your
telephone, not the person calling.
- Do not give any information, such as your name or address, until
the caller has been properly identified.
- Advise your children and guests not to give out any information.
If you are not at home, those answering your telephone should be
instructed to say: "They're busy right now, may I take a message?"
Liberty Communications' subscribers can trace harassing or obscene
calls. The service is known as Customer Originated Trace (COT), and is
included in your local service. Here's how the process works:
- When you receive a harassing or obscene call, hang up.
- Pick up the handset, listen for dial tone and dial *57 from your
touch tone phone (dial 1157 from a rotary phone). The code must be
dialed before you receive another call, because COT will only trace the
last incoming call.
- You will hear this message: "This is your call tracing service.
To trace the last call received, dial 1; otherwise please hang up." If
you dial 1, you will hear this message: "The last incoming call has
been traced." The call is printed out on a printer at the telephone
office, showing the customer's number, the date and time of the call,
and the number of the caller. (COT will capture all local calls
(including unlisted), plus some long distance calls. If the call cannot
be traced, you will hear, "We're sorry, the last incoming call could
not be traced because the call came from outside your serving area."
Partial traces still print out a record showing your number, the date
and time of call.)
- The printout cannot be released to you - only to law enforcement
agencies, so you must contact your local authorities.
- If Liberty Communications is provided with a subpoena and
releases the call information to the authorities, a $2.00 charge will
be applied to your bill for a successful trace.